July 19, 2006

Love Song to Lebanon (a poem by a friend)

I got this from Edward Hichez. He came to Lebanon last year with a group of theology and religion students from Boston. I hung out with these guys for the two weeks they were here. You can reach him at ehichez@yahoo.com.

> I've been deeply moved over the recent events
> occurring in Lebanon. I wrote a little something I
> thought I'd share with you all.
>

> Just a year ago I flew
> And in that country they all knew
> That blood and tears were in the past
> And life anew would come at last
>
> In the air was pride and unity
> Muslim, Christian, Shi’ite, Sunni
> Treading lightly, never stalling
> In Beirut a new light falling
>
> And as the cedar spread its wings
> And as the ocean lapped and sang
> Another change was on its way
> Another war, another day
>
> To the mountains, to the caves!
> Others watch, and others pray
> You are beautiful, you’re brave
> Another night, another day
>
> And when today I read your story
> I long for you your former glory.
> The Paris of the Middle East,
> From thy bosom bring your feast!

No comments: