July 19, 2006

From cnn.com

Some 150 American students at the American University
in Beirut are scheduled to be evacuated Tuesday night
via a boat, according to the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.
(Watch a trapped U.S. student cope in Lebanon -- 1:38)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, so isn't this the problem? The media saying who's on the boat and when it's leaving.

Yes, we were all upset about the empty boat. But now I'm thinking they need to just be sending lots of boats all the times, and maybe mix in Americans with other foreigners not to be targets. And if they need to go, then they just go, and not wait forever at the port. Okay, so I have to give them more credit. Obviously, this is going to be a very hard job.

I'm hoping to get on some sort of mixed boat. But I really have no say in the matter. I'm waiting here like everybody else. Geez, I should really get some sleep.

And check out this next part from cnn.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Burns said the reason so few of the American citizens
in Lebanon had been evacuated by Monday is because
they have dual nationalities and are not under
mandatory evacuation orders.

"People go out when they want to go out," Burns said.
"We have an open line to all American citizens. We're
in touch with them by Web site. Those Americans who
wish to leave will obviously go out. Those who are in
critical need of leaving over the weekend have left
through the air bridge."
--------------------------------------------------------------
That's total crap and really trying to cover up. Suuuuuure, everyone who wants to leave can just leave. WHAT?? Everyone wants to get out. The U.S. wasn't ready on Monday. That's why they didn't evacuate. And as I told you, the Website was crap, like 36 hours without any changes.

I know Americans like Canadians like Brazilians who are desperately calling their embassies. Everyone's been told--stay put, wait for the call, we'll come get you. That's what the others in Aley are doing. But thankfully another option presented itself to me, and I'm not having to wait in Aley for the embassy to come get me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. THank you for this-- it reminds me of the misleading statements following/during H. Katrina.