July 17, 2006

What can I do to help?

Excerpt from an e-mail from a friend:

> do not risk the drive into
> beirut - especially as it appears that the israelis
> are escalating their attack and have asked that the
> lebanese flee (according to one London rag).
>
> what can i do to help?
---------------------------------------
My response:

The Israelis asked the Lebanese to flee?? What the hell? So they can just wipe out Hizbollah? Oh wait, aren't they Lebanese, too.

What's a London rag? A London newspaper.

What can you do? Pray. Oh and get the U.S. and the rest of the world to put pressure on Israel to back down, give into Hizbollah's demands and start playing fair with their neighbors.

Or you can start with your own Senator/Representative. Tell the U.S. to stop backing Israel. Tell the U.S. to stop funding all the Israeli bombs and missiles they're using to destroy Lebanon and their own people inside Gaza and the West Bank.

Again, how is the U.S. supposed to protect itself from foreign terrrorists when people get killed and maimed by bombs that say "Made in the U.S.A."

Israel can only do this because the U.S. and that means all you Americans reading this are supporting it. It's your tax dollars that blew up this power station just now. And it was loud. We have a generator here, but I think the electricity is going to go soon. The phone line is connected to the electricity so when it goes I can't blog from here. But hopefully I can find a way to keep blogging. For the past two days, my friend, Amira, has been asking me what she's going to do when the electricity goes out. She's diabetic and her medicine has to stay refrigerated.

Protest. Call in to the radio station. Talk to people. Educate them. Tell them there's more than the CNN/U.S. media perspective. But how do you get people to think and care? This is what I've been spending most of my life trying to figure out. And one conclusion I've come to is that some people care and some just don't. You don't convince anyone with rational arguments. It's experiences and people. When something personally affects them, then they start to care. For you guys who know me and love me, you care. But telling random others about this, probably won't matter; they don't care. They think how they think. So just pray for them, too.

No comments: