July 23, 2006

Comment from CNN

Hi Jane,This is Jill from CNN. Sorry you got something different from our conversation. I was very taken with your story and shared the whole thing with everyone in our meeting. Your words were heard. I've emailed you since and hope that you return safe and sound.By the way, our images are all real. Our reporters go through war training before being sent out to war zones like that. We take this very seriously and try to get as many images out to our viewers as possible.Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me!Jill
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now that I'm on such an optimistic streak, should I give CNN some credit? Maybe. But until they stop being so biased in their coverage. Or just showing stupid images of Marines carrying kids and luggage instead of bombs being constantly dropped in Nababity and Baalback, I'll continue to think they suck. Actually, I think they suck because I don't think their information is true and that those Masons-who-control-the-world use CNN to make money. Yeah, I'm not changing my stance on that. . .unless someone can present a good argument otherwise.

But hey, you all know, I still don't watch enough TV to really evaluate them. In Amman, I got to see Al-Jazeera, a lot of disgusting images of maimed children, and people screaming next to their demolished houses, and mass graves and even body parts. I don't know if they could compete with Marines "rescuing" Americans.

It seems like some of these U.S. media images of American evacuees were showing covered Muslims. I noticed that a caption of a photo in USA Today said "Americans and Lebanese-Americans . . .". What is that supposed to mean? A Lebanese-American isn't an American????

A Lebanese-American student at AUB really tipped me off to this spin in the coverage, claiming the US hasn't gotten its act together because most of these Americans they're saving aren't "real" Americans, but Arab-Americans. . . Keep your eye out for this.

So it doesn't look like Jill wants anything else to do with me. But I did get an e-mail from a CNN guy who wanted to do a video-conference with me on Sunday.

Diana said the Houston media wanted to meet me at the airport, but my mom and sister said no. They thought I would be a little emotionally unstable. I think they made a good call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On USA Today's "Americans and Lebanese-Americans"--a poor choice of words. They were probably going for the distinction that the New York Times did better today: "thousands of American tourists and people with dual American and Lebanese citizenship." Just in that visitors will be more clueless and more likely to leave than longtime residents.