July 17, 2006

The boarders who left

4 high-school boys left yesterday from the school--a Saudi, an Iraqi, an Egyptian, and a Korean. The Saudis gracefully took all of them. I don't think the Saudis have any agreements with the Koreans. But there is no way Henry could have gone by himself. He's only been out of Korea this year, and he had to make up the credit this summer for the English course he failed. He actually didn't want to leave, because he has to make up the credit.

So as they were on their way to Syria, they started bombing the road. The kids had to get out of the car, hide under a tree, and then WALK to the border where a Saudi car met them. I don't know how long that was.

At the border, they made Henry pay $300. I guess just because he's Korean.

They're staying at an apartment in the Egyptian kid's dad's friend. (I think this was the same man who was going to fly into Damascus from Cairo and then take a car to Aley to personally retrieve his son.) And they're supposed to fly out tonight.

Can you imagine this being your summer camp experience?? Your parents send you off to sleep-over summer camp and this is what happens?? They'll be best buddies forever.

I still haven't gotten a good scoop about what it's like in Syria. You guys probably have a better idea than I do. I'm sure they're showing the Damascus airport on CNN, right? I actually don't keep the TV on. I can't have the noise on when I'm writing. And I'm keeping the balcony door open so I can hear the planes and bombs and run out to the balcony and look at every so often and yell back and forth to the neighbors.

No comments: