July 25, 2006

Bible Episodes and Verses from Friends

Jane --

Thinking/praying about you the past day or so I've kept coming back
to two Biblical episodes that offer, I guess, focal images for my
hopes for you in and after your current situation ...

The first is Jesus sleeping peacefully in the bow of the disciples'
boat in the middle of a crazy storm on the Sea of Galilee -- they
freak out and wake him up, and he calms the storm but then chastises
them for thelr small faith (since he'd told them they were going to
the other side). Evidently the greater lesson, and the greater sign,
for them would have been to watch Jesus' peaceful sleeping face -- a
face of secure faith -- and take courage from that in the midst of
the storm.

The second, which might apply a little more after your evacuation, is
when Elijah's just had his big showdown on Mt. Carmel (i.e. the ridge
above Haifa), and fire fell from heaven and there was all this
violence and he fled, ran and ran, and was exhausted and basically
told God he wanted to die ... but instead he just slept a lot, and
God sent ravens carrying food for him, to help him recover and
prepare him for the journey ahead. I like that image of the ravens
... so I'm praying that God would give you the rest and nourishment
to recover and prepare, and that you'd be able to find a good place
and posture in which to be able to receive it.

Anyway, I hope those might be helpful. I can scrounge up the
scripture references if the stories aren't familiar (but the Bible's
across the room and I'm lazy). Take care sister.

Yours, etc.

-- Nate

------------------------------------------------------
These are from Anna:

Psalm 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping” your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

Lam 3:19 I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet I call this to mind and therefore I have hope. Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.

No comments: