July 28, 2006

Responding to earl

I'm not saying that Israelis should have to hide their identity to the Arab world, but to the world in general. I made the analogy about flaunting my American identity in certain contexts, but I guess I'm not communicating it well to you. So I'll just have to drop this subject.

I haven't said that the existence of Israel is a mistake. It just has a really crappy foreign policy that's brought upon itself a lot of security problems. Which is exactly what the US is doing to itself by supporting Israel.

When did Hizbollah murder Americans?? I would love to get some info about this. Oh wait, the 241 U.S. Marines that got killed in Beirut in 1984. Is that what you're referring to??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guarantee you that I can go 99% of places in the world other than the "Arab world" and not have to worry about my safety when wearing an Israeli tshirt, barring the Middle East.

Tell me what your foreign policy would be when people are murdering your citizens, arab nations are applauding it/condoning it/supporting it, and no one will help. UN Resolutions are nice, but too bad they're pointless. No one enforced UN Resolution 1559. Israel is doing that now, for itself.

Yeah, just the 220 honorable Marines, courageous 18 Navy Personnel, and the venerable 3 Army Soldiers. Just those. Who cares about them, right? It was just the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Have you always had this mentality about Israel, Hizbollah, and the US? Or is it some variation of Stockholm Syndrome?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the anger above, but 241 seems like kind of a lot, and those weren't the only Americans killed by Hezbollah. anyway, Israeli foreign policy goes back a long way, and does have a lot to do with the history of the regional conflict, and its living from the get-go among people who hated it before it even existed. if that doesn't spawn paranoia, I don't know what does. Not to say that all of Israel's policies are just or wise. Much of it hasn't been. but you try to live under those conditions - and I don't mean just you as individual, but as a nation, in a tiny country vulnerable from so many sides, and always held under a microscope by international public opinion, like no other nation-state is. Israel is by no means perfect. It is by no means an exemplary moral actor. But who is? And are there nations who act more "morally," existing under the same conditions? Can you name one? Are cases even comparable, even if you were to name such a state?

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»