July 19, 2006

This blog needs media coverage

Please spread it everywhere. Go through some of the major media channels.

I gave a phone interview this morning with Channel 2 NBC in Houston. The story will be on at 4 and 6, with my brother-in-law.

I bet they're goign to just cut what I say to make the story that they want. Jared's analysis is right on.

So I probably will stop all interviews like that. The blog is the best. It's not getting cut and doctored.

So just spread the word everywhere. . . PLEASE.

By the way, my pessimism has turned somewhat. Now, I think these evacuation operations are so messed up that they're just not going to work. Give up! YOu can't safely assure the passage of that many people. I mean am I really goignto get on that boat tomorrow with 1000's of other Americans? Making myself an easy target. It's too unsafe and they know that. Khalas. The world is going to tell Israel it has to stop. This is so ridiculous.

Come on historians. What kind of precedents are there for this kind of evacuation?? I mean they evacuate a lot. There was a guy at AUB with these Yale kids, and he just seemed to know the deal. "The last time this happened, the government never sent them the bill." We were still concerned about the money issue. But now, it's a free ride??? I think.

I was like, "Have you done this before?"

And he was like, "Yeah, lots." All cool-guy-ish.

"Really?" And I did that thing where I purse my lips together. Y'all know that look. "So what do you do?"

And he just looked at me staight in the eyes, like how dare you ask such a personal question. But, of course, I just stared back.

"I'm a personal contractor."

So he goes into these places and evacuates people. That's his job. How weird. I wish I could find that guy and ask him if this kind of thing has happened before. BEcause I think it's a serious botch-up. I mean this guy has probably never experienced anythign on the scale of this mass foolishness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane, you're way too self-absorbed and melodramatic. Get a grip already, please. Don't you know any history or social theory? Isn't that what you claim to have studied in college? What happened?

Anonymous said...

I dont understand why poeple cant understand that this is a personal journal of someone living a nightmare! Jane is too self-absorbed? Give me a break!!! Too melodramatic? You say get a grip. I would love to see how you would be acting after dealing with a week of no sleeping, eating and bombs being dropped all around you. I think you need a better understanding of the blogging concept. These are the thoughts, feelings and reactions of someone who is dealing with the most traumatic thing she will probably ever deal with. Do you have an understanding of social theories?

Marriah said...

Social theories are great for understanding why wars happen, but they are terrible when it comes to actualy surviving a war. Survival is based on gut an instinct, and Jane is acting exactly as she should under the circumstances. There is, after all, such a thing as learned ignorance. Jane is surviving, and no amount of social theory will help her do that.

Anonymous said...

There are two potential purposes of this blog - as a journal and as a persuasive tool. Jane clearly would like to use her experience for the latter (and there's nothing wrong with that). But if a blog is used as a means to communicate a political message and including calls for action, be prepared for criticism. And considering that criticism will help strengthen that message.

Jane - you have some amazing stories to share and can educate others tremendously. Just remember that your empathy is one of your greatest traits and you shouldn't limit those you apply it to. Don't make it easy for people to dismiss you.

Please take care of yourself.

-Regina