July 24, 2006

Wafaa is Waiting

So I"m still super tired. I had to stop calling Lebanon because the phone card ran out. Now I remembered skype. So I'm downloading it now. Usually the connection with skype is so crappy, I end up hanging up.

So Wafaa is now waiting for the Canadian Embassy to call her and her husband. Since they're residents of Lebanon, they know they are last priority. Her parents and sister and cousin are home. They called the Embassy who say that they're getting 2,000 people a day.

She sounds confident that they'll get out soon.

She sounds calm. But the says the sounds of the bombing is getting louder. She says that she's worried about food. Staples like flour, rice, are all running out. They had no milk because the Israelis bombed the milk factory. She's happy she's going home. She doesn't know what it's going to be like for everyone who has to stay.

Her husband sounded way more concerned. But at least he was the first person who didn't make me feel crazy. He said he doesn't think these evacuations are safe adn that they could be a target. He actually understood how I felt. And why I decided not to go with the Americans (eventhough it sucks that I paid all that money and YES I found out that I did miss a helicopter ride.) But after three days of postponing it because of security concerns because they were leaking all the information about time, place, etc. I just thought they couldn't guarantee my safety.

And of course he knows it's going to get so bad once these evacuations are over. He's not in denial. He's not trying to be optimistic. He wants to get out.

I'm going back and questioning everything. Now it's hitting me that I won't be able to go back. Lebanon isn't going to give me a tourist visa while a war is going on. What am I going to do in Texas??

But then of course what would I do there? Keep up a dumb blog that some of y'all read, but doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of anything.

They're so happy I'm home.

No comments: