July 19, 2006

They don't get it

I'm at AUB. And these people have been in these hallowed walls, and they don't get it. An 18-year old Lebanese-American girl who lives in Jordan came to the office where I was signing that dumb promissory note paperwork for the evacuation/repatriation. She says, "I want to sign up for the bus to Jordan."

There's an AUB bus to Jordan?? Oh yeah, for people who aren't American or Canadian or European and maybe don't have a country that has a boat to get them to Cyprus.

"Since I live in Jordan. It's easier than going to Cyprus," she says, with the blankest look on her face.

She has an American passport.

"Do you know what's going on?" I start. "There's no roads to Syria. They're bombing those roads. You are not protected." I thought today would be safe because of the evacuations and since foreigners from around the country will be moving to these boats. But Israel's been bombing Nabatiye all day. Civlians in their homes. They have nothing to do with Hizballah. They blew up a truck in Ashrafiye, the chi-chi Christian area of Beirut where all the chi-chi nightlife is.

"You really need to get your name on that list with the Americans. And go on a boat to Cyprus. What do your parents say?"

"They're letting me make the decision."

And I look at the woman at AUB, and I say, "You're going to let her do this. She has an American passport." But of course, those people can't give advice.

"Everyone has to make his own decision."

No comments: