July 26, 2006

Fox 26 News Houston--I was Bumped for American kids in Haifa

The woman called me yesterday to go on live on the morning show. It's 4:00 now and I need to know if I'm supposed to pack my bags to spend the night at my sister's. So I have to look up the number and call her.

"Oh, sorry, yeah, I was going to call you. We're filled for tomorrow. They're these American kids who just got back from Haifa."

"Haifa. . . Hm. . . Are you going to have some people from Lebanon on your show? I don't know if you're aware of the bias in the American media. Not that it's not bad in Haifa, too, but I hope you put some people from Lebanon on your show."

She probably didn't appreciate the condescension. She then said something about me maybe going on Thursday or Friday. And I was like, I don't care if I go on, but really you should put some people on from Lebanon, again emphasizing the bias in the American media.

So I succeeded in putting Bernadette out. "Well if that's how you feel about the American media, then we really don't need someone like you on our show."

"Good luck."

And that was that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm missing something, but (speaking anecdotally) I really haven't seen that pervasive of a bias. I suppose there's a western bias focusing on the American evacuees, but most of the coverage I've seen has centered on Lebanese civilians, as perhaps it should. Maybe bias is just one of these things that everyone sees. All the Israel supporters I know feel that the coverage is strongly slanted against them.

Anonymous said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/23/AR2006072300512.html


Jane, check this article out. (you too, anonymous!)

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»