July 20, 2006

Responding to Comments

Thanks from the military man who just posted that comment.

He's right. I'm completely denigrating the military. And these people are just as scared and "ignornat" as I am. And absolutely layign down their life for me.

You are so right. I am so sorry.

As for the comments about Israle. Yall knwo it hurts my head to even tyr to justify anythign I say, everyoen will always get offended.

But of course not every Israeli is the same. Many people are against their govenmetn. Just like neot every American is the same, not every American is wit htheir govt.

I'm sorry about syaing they are all paranoid with psychotic features. I'm syaing Israeli foreign policy is paranoid iwth psychotic features. And for now Ill stick to that. Of course everyone is different.

Are people really goingto make me defend my relationship wit hIsraelis??? Pleas.e I went to Harvard. I took classes at the Hillel and met an amazing rabbi who I adored adn had the most absolute respect for. (Of course I met others who I thought were crazy. EXact thing applies to Catholic priests I've wroked for and other Christina ministers. ) Of course everyone is different.

No, I've never been to Israel. ( Remember I tried last year. I can't with a Lebanese residency. You can't go to ARab countries with Israeli stamp in your passport.)

But I know two girls (one I would call a friend, and the other I owuldn't becaue I broke her trust last year when Itried to visit and I bailed) who i've been in contact with on e-mail and phone and told me what life for them is like there.

I know they're bombing Haifa. And believe me it's scary as hell to live through bombings and know that you can be bombed any minute.

As for the person who siad I'm histrionic and over dramatic. This person obviously doesn't know me. I'm like this when theree isnt' a war. Teh first time I read DSMIVe description of histrionic personality disorder, I was like, Woah. That's me. "Feels uncomforable when not the cener of attention." "Makes shallow and extreme facial expressions that change quickly." My friends Mellody and Denise were there for that.

As a teacher, my class is the Jane show. Sometimes they say, "Miss. Pleas don't start signing. Don't start dancing."

As for being uneducated. I went to Harvard as an undergrad. Graduated with honors in Social STudies. Took ARabic and some classes on the Middle East. I worked at the Center for Middle Eastern STudeis at Harvard and tried to pick up as much as I could from the experts there. And I've lived here for two years.

But I don't have a masters or PhD. I don't watch TV and I'm not a news junkie. So in many ways that kidn of information is lacking for me. People who have formally studied this stuff mroe and can quote academic sources--i call on you to post comments to this blog and correct my errors.

Whoever said I was undeducated, please educate us by posting a comment and correcting my mistakes or adding imprtant information I am missing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane,

God bless you. With whatever simplicity can be found in this chaotic story, you are in our prayers. May God whisper words of comfort to you in the midst of this storm, and may the peace that passes all understanding keep you safe from the weapons of this broken world. From the military guy from the post and the email (and a lot of his friends who are praying as well.)

d.