July 17, 2006

Actually. . .

I won't get my sister to edit my stuff. It's better to keep it real. Or as Chris Rock would say, "Keeping it real. . .dumb."

Hah, hah!! I love Chris Rock.

I actually had my mom send me his "Bring the Pain" HBO special to show to my 11th grade Sociology students. I guess they should fire me because it's rated R and he says a lot of --bad words.-- My boss wasn't happy when I showed them "Fahrenheit 9/11" either. But that was a great experience. One of my students who was born and raised in Iraq and went to the American school in Baghdad her whole life LOVED the movie. She was amazed that an American made it. She moved to Lebanon this year. I have another student who left Iraq two years ago, and lived in downtown Baghdad.

She was amazed that Michael Moore was making this argument about the Bushes with the Saudis and looking for an excuse to invade Iraq to get building contracts for his corporate friends so they could make a Lot of Money. And believe me, I said a lot of people criticize Michael Moore for his questionable research. I said this is just his perspective. There is obviously much more to this complicated situation. But the Lebanese kids and Iraqi kid developed a new respect for Americans after watching that movie. I keep telling them the country is divided in regards to George Bush and the war in Iraq. (Now, it's swung the other way.) I'm more free here to show what I want and say what I want--about politics, about religion, about homosexuality than I am in the American public school. I'm not indoctrinating kids with my tree-hugging radicall, liberal ways. I'm trying to teach them how to think. We all have a perspective. I explain to them Weber's "Science as a Vocation" stance. Every teacher is biased. They should just admit it and say what it is explicitly to their students. Otherwise they will be secretly indoctrinating their students. I'm always open to debate. They know I value that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lots of love to you,
shoff