August 8, 2006

What Lebanese think of Israel

On CNN, it was showing that maybe Israel would accept this idea of 15,000 Lebanese troops in southen Lebanon. But the Israeli Foreign Minister was saying that they don't know if they can really trust the Lebanese army. Well, they're big liars--becasue they have absolutely No Intention of accepting this as a solution. And they shouldn't. The Lebanese army might as well equal Hizbollah.

On CNN yesterday, I saw the Israeli Foreign Minister (or maybe rep to UN) say that this is not a war against Lebanon, and that the Lebanese people have nothing against Israel, that they're just against Hizboallah. And that Israel has No Intention of occupying Lebanon. And has No Intention of taking a drop of their water.

Yeah, right!

What a big fat liar!

From the moment, I stepped foot in Lebanon, the hatred (and I can't put it any milder) towards Israel was very, very open.

When Rafik Hariri was killed, we heard the bomb up in the mountain. It was lunch break and I asked my students, "What was that?"

"Oh, those are Israeli planes. They just fly low and make sound booms."

"Why do that do that?"

"Because they can. Because they want to be jerks and intimidate us."

Believe me. Lebanese people hate Israel. That's been the case since long before Isreael completely destroyed their country and set them more than 50 years back. It's a national holiday celebrating the end of Israeli occupation in 2000. When the country was glued to their TV sets, watching the liberation of the illegal Israeli-run prison, Khiam, in southern Lebanon.

I know many Lebanese Christians who have had to figure out how to make peace with the fact that Jesus was a Jew. This is a major philosophpical problem for many people.

This same person, I think Wally, keeps asking for my opinion about a solution. I still don't see one. It's going to be hell. And I wish all my friends could get out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a big fat liar!

Or perhaps simply wrong or misguided or of a different perspective. If we as individuals refuse to attribute all but the basest of motives to other individuals, I'm not sure how we can expect anything better from whole governments.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was just quoting Jane to make clear what I was responding to. I don't think Jane is a big, fat liar! Sorry for the confusion.