August 18, 2006

Responding to comments


Propoganda--Israelii Soldiers
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.



So I want this to be a legitimate forum to talk about issues, and I very much appreciate how the readers of this blog are forcing me to figure out what I think and present it in a clear way. I am going around to different groups speaking, and I'm preparing more formal presentations for schools and churches. So it's important for me to get the input and feedback. And I really do value what you guys are telling me.

As for Norm's last post, it's kind of hard to see how this can be useful, and if I should be responding to him. I want to keep up the dialogue, but when it becomes straight-up personal attacks devoid of content, my better judgment would say to ignore it. But before he made very good points.

For example, he pointed out all the doctoring in the media. Yes, many photos were doctored. But then he said, that the claims of the destruction in Lebanon are not true. All I can say to that is that my friends are there and they tell me that their houses are destroyed.

He went on to say, "Maybe murdering someone in a public square then having a crowd cheer it then deface his dead body and take pictures of it and have a woman stand on the dead man's throat is normal in their culture? Different cultures, mannnnn, can't judge!'" Yes, you can find crazy photos everywhere. Yesterday, I got one in my inbox which I put at the top of this entry. I actually deleted it when I got it, because this kind of propoganda is useless. But I'm giving into Norm (which maybe I should just ignore--but then is that not engaging in dialogue--what do y'all think?). So I put it at the top--Israeli soldiers taking pictures over a dead Lebanese civlian. You can find this kind of junk on both sides.

I don't think that all "Israel-sympathizers" are of the George Bush, Bill O'Reilly, or Newt Gingrinch mind frame. Of course not. I shouldn't have watched that foolishness anyways.

As for defending Israel because it pamphlets people before it blows them up, there a plenty of accounts of people who were leaving and getting bombed on their way out. The Israelis did not provide them a safe passage. And after bombing the roads, many couldn't leave. And of course for those poor people and those stubborn people, they can't or won't leave, and will still get killed. Here are some numbers--159 Israelis, more than 1,000 Lebanese died in this war.

As for me calling Israel a terrorist. Someone pointed out the definition of terrorist--is a group operating independently of the state. Israel is a state and therefore can't be compelled to disarm. But Hizbollah as citizens can and should be. I think you fail to recognize the very state-ish nature of Hizbollah. It's not an official state, but it is a political organization with members in the Lebanese Parliament, and in many ways it has taken on duties that the Lebanese governmetn has failed to provide--social services and military defense. It can't disarm or disband itself unless a legitimate state (Lebanon) could take over the functions it has been taking care of. Maybe the Lebanese government can step, but most people doubt it.

And Wally's comment about "how you 'feel' trumps how you reason." Are you going to tell me Norm's posts are most "reasonable" and thought-out than my "emotional" posts??? That's an easy way and clearly non-substantiated way to dismiss someone. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm a woman? Some people of an older school like to dismiss what young women have to say by calling them emotional? But you guys wouldn't fall into such a trap. You'll continue to use your reasoned, well-supported comments to maintain this discussion, and stay away from personal insults barren of all content, evidence, or analysis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you fail to recognize the very state-ish nature of Hizbollah.

I'm happy to recognize Hezbollah as more "state-ish" and representative of Lebanon than I previously thought; your knowledge of Lebanese politics is definitely more extensive than mine!

But if that's the case, it seems to undermine your chief argument, which is that Hezbollah is primarily a misunderstood social organization providing help to the beleaguered citizens of south Lebanon. It means that they have much broader power and influence than you've seemed to indicate in other posts. And it makes their public statements (such as the widely stated past goal of the destruction of the state of Israel, not just the end of the occupation) much more serious and menacing.

If you're right and Hezbollah is actually the most powerful "state-ish" entity in Lebanon, then the call for them to disarm is perhaps less legitimate, since they would be the primary organization protecting the military interests of the Lebanese. But it would also make their total rejection of the possibility of compromise with or toleration of Israel far more problematic.