August 4, 2006

The Solution?

One very persistent blog-reader has been asking me again and again, in a very sincere fashion, what I think is the solution to this crisis.

Honestly. I'm at a place where I don't see one.

I would really, really like to believe that there will be a cease-fire and de-escalation on both sides. And that this international peacekeeping force (which will really be some private company hired out of Virginia or England or South Africa) will be able to keep Hizballah rockets from firing into Israel and keep Israeli soldiers out of Lebanon. Even though, as I said before, UNIFIL (United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon) has been there since 2000.

But it doesn't look likely. These leaders need to save face now. As long as there's pride and elections and legitimate self-defense involved, neither side will back down.

Maybe I'm moving back into paranoia, but I think they'll be serious, scary weapons now--biological, chemical, nuclear. I pray that it doesn't happen.

But now I wish I could get every single one of my friends out of there.

I was disgusted by the idea of the evacuation before. Thinking that if those foreigners who the world seemed to care about were still there that would stop Israel from completely decimating the country. Now, it's clear. The US isn't going to do anything. I think it's going to be disgusting.

Now that I'm here in the U.S. I see that most people don't even know what Lebanon is. They don't care. Of course, I'm at the center of my own world, and the people I know who read this blog are there with me.

But really if say something really, really bad happened there, it will go in the history books, another Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And that will be that.

I wish they could all just leave.

They bombed north of Jounnieh today. That's a Christian area. A friend in Beirut left because now Beirut isn't safe. But she knows--no where is safe. That bombing cut off the northern exit route to Syria. There is no getting out. And there's a petrol crisis.

So now the foreigners are out. The escape routes are all down.

Now what's going to happen??

I can't think about this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your response, Jane. While I fully support our current policy on the Middle East, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with you or anyone else who disagrees and who is sincere in her/his beliefs.

Since you have time, I'd only suggest that
you begin to formulate, on your own, a pathway out of this quagmire. Sooner or later your intelligent blogger-friends will look to you for your opinion, and I know you'll want to have thought the matter through and be prepared.

Just a suggestion..

Best regards,
Wally

Anonymous said...

I for one am looking for information from you and others who have been there. What I see in TV is appalling - but I wonder what else is going on that I am not aware of . Thanks for helping us all understand what is going on.You are a good teacher.

Anonymous said...

Being part Lebanese it is hard for me to watch the destruction of such a beautiful country. All I can do is watch all this terror and insanity from my television screen. It makes me ill.

After the evacuation of all the foreigners I knew that Israel would increase their bombing and it made me feel terrible. It's like another Rwanda. It's as if we never learn. Every time we overlook the suffering of another country we promise it will never happen again. But it always does. As you said, it will just be another page in some history book. Maybe a question on some extra credit test in the future. It's heart wrenching.

Thank you for writing,
Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Dear Yasmin,

I'd really like to understand the mentality of Hezbollah. Perhaps you or Jane can help me.

I hear that they are compassionate in that they are the first to respond to the needs of the down-trodden and helpless.

What I fail to understand is why they choose to launch their rockets from sites in the heart of the same residential areas they serve.

I somehow feel that the hatred they feel for Israel is greater than their desire to protect the lives of their innocent Lebanese brothers and sisters.

Can anyone correct or enlighten me on this?

Sincerely,

Wally











































I phrased my dilemma as simply as I could, and would welcome a response.



They must know in their hearts that, in so doing,
thay insure the loss of civilian lives by making it virtually impossible for
forcing , they are