August 22, 2006

Figuring out how to help Lebanon from here--Working with Hizbolla???

I'm now responding to Wally's last post.

But first, let me admit, he sent a really, long good post about the history of Israel a while back, and I stuck it in a "To read" folder along with a million other things and just didn't respond to it. But I do have to get to that, and hopefully that will happen in the next couple days.

But as for what he just proposed--going back to Lebanon and working for Hizbollah? I didn't really get what he was saying, or how much of it was sarcasm. (Sarcasm is really hard over e-mail--no tone, no voice, no body language).

So Wally, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean coordinating whatever humanitarian efforts I will get involved in, with Hizbollah?

Right now, I'm thinking the best way to help these independent, small guys doing good work in Lebanon is for them to build websites, where they can post pictures, blog, and get PR. So that they can get partnership and support. It would be easier for me to find these partners--as I do speaking engagements--if there was some kind of website to direct them towards. They could also put out their budget, and be really clear about what they're spending money on.

I'm thinking of how to set this up from here. And thinking about getting donations of computers and digital cameras. This might mean my going back and visiting with different people and training someone at these organizations on setting up the website. (Yes, of course, I'm looking for an excuse to go back.) I was thinking of getting Apple Computers to donate, but then I realized that Apples aren't really good in developing countries, where all the pirated software people use wouldn't really be useful.

What do y'all think of the idea?

No comments: