January 9, 2007

Jeishi, Jeishi Everywhere


Jeishi, Jeishi Everywhere
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.

I live in an armed society.

To get to church, we have to talk to a soldier who checks our names on a list.

The poor army guys are literally camped all over Beirut. You see them sleeping under buildings.

One of my students told me, "Miss. I woke up at 1o'clock in the morning last night to the walls shaking. I thought maybe they started bombing again." But no, it was all the tanks rolling in.

This is a picture of beautiful downtown Beirut, that Hariri rebuilt after the war.

(The former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri was assassinated on Valentine's Day two years ago. Hizbollah wants to stop the international tribunal from doing its work and accusing the Syrian officals who did it. This is one reason they resigned from the government and are now calling on the government to resign.)

I took this as I was walking to the start line of the Beirut International Marathon two months ago.

You see this everywhere--tanks, guns, army guys.

No comments: