May 9, 2008

Self-Importance, Writing and Eat, Pray, Love

There's a certain amount of megalomania required to be a writer. It all comes off as too dramatic and way too self-important and self-absorbed. I read a really horrible book a couple months ago, Eat, Pray, Love. Actually, I might have gotten half-way through it, but the author was just so self-absorbed and vapid, that I couldn't bear to suffer through it any longer.

But could I be any better? I write stupid, vapid, over-dramatic, self-absorbed things all the time. This whole writing thing, and especially blogging, requires a personality glitch. Really, why should anyone think they're so darn interesting that others would take the time to read their stuff?

1 comment:

orchid lover said...

hey jane-

we're reading! you have a gift for writing, for some reason especially under crisis. your posts on the nuances of identity in iraq and lebanon are great and remind me of similar mis-reporting on african events (like the recent crisis in kenya where suddenly was either kikuyu OR luo). stay safe (and sane).