May 13, 2008

I just talked to Rola

She and her husband are staying in Aitat tonight. All the women and children have evacuated the village. Her kids are staying with her sister. It’s only the men who are there. She doesn’t want to leave her husband by himself. She hopes she can convince him to leave. “It’s suicide staying here.”

Aitat is between Keyfoun and Aimatiye—two Hizbollah arsenals. Rola wants the world to know that the Druze people of Aitat are not armed and that their political party, the Ishtirakiye/PSP led by Walid Jumblatt, have not given them any weapons.

She knows her husband won’t leave though. “His whole life is here. Everything he’s worked for–his house, his business. He’s not going anywhere.”

They’re praying that the truce will hold. They’re scared.

How crappy is it to say to your friend, “I’m praying for you. I love you.” I can easily take two vans and be at her house in an hour. I do this all the time. And now all I can do is talk to her on the phone. And blog. She was happy to know that I can tell the world about what is happening. When you’re holed up in your house, thinking you could die, it might be some consolation to know that at least the world knows and that someone cares.

3 comments:

Christine Folch said...

Give Rola my love and prayers.

Christine Folch said...

The sidebar is super helpful! much love, christine.

Christine Folch said...

It also shows just how complicated this whole thing is... you've got druze, sunnis, christians on both sides. sheesh.