September 8, 2006

Beirut or Bust

Yesterday, my friend said she's going to make me a T-shirt that says "Beirut or Bust."

Well, now she doesn't have to. I got a job offer. They want me to fax back the contract with the signature. It's with the best American school in Beirut, where those Embassy people and local rich people send their kids. Therefore, I will have a real work visa and a good salary. And if anything were to happen, I would be right there, and I'm sure would be on those secret helicopters that get out before everybody else. (I heard rumors about those.)

Yesterday, I went to a training session to subsitute teach in Katy I.S.D. And it was just so depressing. I seriously felt bad about myself.

This is a good opportunity--not just work-wise, where I can actually learn from other, more experienced teachers. But I can continue with the Arabic and get to know all those NGO people I started working with and help Rania at my church start a home for street kids. There's a lot of people doing good work. And I do hope I can figure out ways to help them. One idea is to get those local non-profits with websites. So they can advertise themselves and tell the world what's happening and find supporters.

As Wally keeps pointing out, I had big ideas to raise money and do this kind of work. So hopefully I'll be working on that a little on that end. But at the same time, I'll have a real JOB. And have to do all that. But maybe it can be community service stuff through the skill--getting those rich, priveleged kids to show other kids how to use the technology, so they can help out their own communities.

I'm supposed to report September 14. What does that mean, leave on Tuesday???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so soon!!! how does your family feel about it? all that stuff you have lined up sounds great!

Unknown said...

Jane when all the "crap" hit the fan and you finally returned home I breathed a sigh of relief. But immediately though "Would Jane go back?" I came to my senses and said "It's not if, but when will Jane go back." Godspeed.

Anonymous said...

Ruby, My name is Joe. I am looking to teach in Lebanon. I need some information from other teachers who are working in Lebanon about pay/benefit/conditions. Can you help?

Anonymous said...

Ruby, My name is Joe. I am looking to teach in Lebanon. I need some information from other teachers who are working in Lebanon about pay/benefit/conditions. Can you help?