September 5, 2006

Are there Israeli cyber-soldiers prowling my blog?

So apparently there are many Israeli supporters who prowl the Internet looking to defend Israel wherever it is criticized? Could this be what has happened here on my blog? Why are there certain people, who I don't know, who always have articles and certain information at their disposal, to counter everything I might say that could put Israel in a negative light?

One of these consistent blog readers told me once that I should join Hizbollah and be on its payroll. I thought that was a very strange comment. But now I'm wondering if that isn't because he might be on the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) payroll.

Here's an excerpt from “Israel backed by army of cyber-soldiers,” by Yonit Farago in Jerusalem, in The Times, 28 July 2006.



Doron Barkat, 29, in Jerusalem, spends long nights trawling the web to try to swing the debate Israel’s way. “When I see internet polls for or against Israel I send out a mailing list to vote for Israel,” he said. “It can be that after 15 minutes there will be 400 votes for Israel.

“It’s very satisfying. There are also forums where Lebanese and Israelis talk.”

Israel’s Foreign Ministry must avoid direct involvement with the campaign but is in contact with international Jewish and evangelical Christian groups, distributing internet information packs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wally seems like an honest person trying to keep this blog alive. It would be sad and silly to have him disappear.
Wasn't the point to inform and debate and get educated, not just portray one side? why are people always resorting to some Jewish conspiracy theory? Haven't we had enough of it already?

Janer said...

Okay, okay. Wally is innocent enough. Am I just getting paranoid again?? Of course, I enjoy the give-and-take and those bloggers who are always keeping me on my toes.

I just had a phone interview with a school in Beirut. I could be back there next week.

Anonymous said...

if you feel that my participation will impact negatively on what you are attempting to accomplish, just say the word and..Poof!

Wally, I get the feeling that your participation would indeed impact negatively on what the blogger is trying to accomplish, which is precisely why you shouldn't quit. To the degree that Jane is trying to establish a black and white view of the conflict (which I think is understandable given her experience with the Arab world only), to that degree do people of all ideologies need to speak up on behalf of the people who aren't being represented.

I do think we also have to be aware of the tendency to sort of settle into our identities as dissenters, such that we start to contest everything which is said instead of considering the arguments. I know that's a trap I've fallen into more than once.

Anonymous said...

Wally is innocent enough.

What the heck does this mean?

Anonymous said...

I just read the Times piece you linked to, and saw nothing about IDF being at all involved in the internet campaign. It was all about civilians and college students trying to balance things out, with support from the Foreign Ministry. Where did you get the part about the IDF?

Janer said...

Yes, this is a good point. Settling into our identities as dissenters and defenders. This is very dangerous. I know I do that. But I get so paranoid. I've been watching too much Fox and CNN since I've been back. It makes me think that this is how Americans think. And then I talk to people in the gym and at church in Katy and then I'm confirmed in my thinking.

What am I supposed to do????

Janer said...

No, no. It doesn't say IDF. I just said that as a response to Wally saying I should go on the Hizbollah payroll.

It says that the government can't directly get involved.

Anonymous said...

hey Jane, so, I was concerned when I saw the news about the strike and knew that you were in Lebanon (crazy girl!), but anyway, hope you keep safe.
-Sandra Favelukes O'Neill