October 17, 2006

Has it been a month?

Where's Jane?

Teaching 8th grade Humanities in Beirut.

The kids are great. The other teachers are cool. This is a great place to be.

But I seriously jacked up my harddrive when I was backing up my stuff before I had to get on the plane. So I lost some music, and iPhoto is just whack. It's been a month and I've started fixing it, but then the problems just keep mounting. And I really haven't had any patience to sit down and really work at it.

Plus, I'm trying to see people. I have this whole other life in the mountains. So on the weekends I'm trying to see those friends.

I took pictures of Hrat Hreik. And hopefully I will post them soon. Me, standing in rubble, next to "Made in America" signs. It's really sick looking at kids' shoes, and toys, and books, and photo albums and furniture and just everything that would be in a person's house in huge mountains of rubble in craters on the street. The people are constantly cleaning up. In fact, people were like, "Oh, they've cleaned it up. You won't really see anything." Well, that's crazy. There is no semblance of normality to it at all.

And it's Ramadan. So the people working can't even drink. They wear masks over their faces.

I will eventually post pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you suck, jane. a month? give me a break. i am sure you lost a lot of people that were keeping up with your story. good job. but i still love you.

Anonymous said...

hi jane! it has been a busy month for everyone
hugs, KB

Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear from you, Ms. Jane. I've been waiting!