November 28, 2005

Taiwan. . . finally.


Denise and I (in Hong Kong)
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.



I can't believe it's been so long since I blogged. In late August, I finally went to Taiwan!!! Denise was my best friend in elementary school. I still remember the day in second grade when the new Chinese girl arrived to our class. She lived down the street. We were in Girl Scouts together. I was always at her house-- eating the food, listening to the language, and fighting with her cousin. In eighth grade, she spent the year there. So we wrote each other letters. That was the time in the 80's when my dad was doing a lot of business in Taiwan. So I've always wanted to go, my whole life. And I finally went.

I absolutely loved it. Denise has a ton of cousins and aunts and uncles and her grandma. They were all super-nice and adopted me. They said I should move there. . . .I'm considering it.

I also started picking up some Chinese and figuring out some of the basic characters. Denise thinks Chinese is easier than Arabic and that if I stayed there I'd be able to pick it up.

Then there's this fantasy I have of becoming a ninja. This isn't new for most of you. Well, I was thinking about that, too. If I moved there, could I do some serious training . . .but then I realized it would all be in Chinese, and that would be slightly complicated.

The pictures of Taiwan are at www.homepage.mac.com/janerubio/PhotoAlbum35.html. And I have a separate album just for food at www.homepage.mac.com/janerubio/PhotoAlbum38.html. For some reason, I take a lot of pictures of food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that the life of a ninja is as glamourous as Quentin Tarantino makes it seem. Although, if I was able to learn how to emerge from the shadows to strike an enemy, it may be worth it.