November 28, 2005

Bangkok


Me and the Reclining Buddha
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.



Bangkok was absolutley beautiful. My flight landed at about 10 in the morning, and my next flight was past midnight. So I had the whole day to run around the city. Not only did I stuff my face with real Thai food (which actually happened to be a lot like the Taiwanese food I had been eating for the past week), but I went to some amazing palaces and temples, did a little canal tour, and went to a Thai kickboxing match. I was standing in the cheapest section with all the Thai men yelling their bets. It started around 6, and lasts way into the night. I really, however, wasn't impressed by the fighting skills. I figured they put the amateurs on first, and I didn't get to stick around long enough to see the good stuff. I recorded a little video. You can see it and the pictures at www.homepage.mac.com/janerubio/PhotoAlbum39.html.

After the kickboxing match, I went to a night market, and did some serious shopping. I had to buy extra bags to check on the plane. Of course, that wasn't hard to find. Everyone told me the shopping in Bangkok is no joke. I only wish I had taken out more money. I bought an amazing blouse/skirt fancy outfit, with a matching turqoise purse, a bunch of bags, candles, incense, and jewelry. It was all beautiful and cheap. . . And of course, I stuffed my face with fried tofu, cooked and jellied fruits, and some sesame things they were selling on the street. Somehow I didn't find the mango sticky rice that everyone told me to get.

The place is very tourist friendly. There are beaches, which of course I didn't get to. And it's cheap (well, after you've bought the ticket). I highly recommend it.

No comments: