July 30, 2005

Coverage


In Damascas
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.


On a Nile cruise in Egypt, the contrast was startling. A very scantily clad Oriental dancer, what we in the West call a belly dancer, was basically wearing a bikini and fringe, while there were about 5 women with their heads covered and one completely covered in that black cloak that women in Saudi and the Gulf wear.

It reminded me of all that Latina literature and theory I studied in college, where it talked about women fitting into two categories: the Virgin Mary or the prostitute Mary Magdalene. Basically, if a girl/women doesn't stay at home and remain perfectly virginal, she's a slut. There is no "normal" woman. A guy can do whatever he wants. But women have to be perfect virgins. . . or else . . .

Since it was a dinner cruise, Christine and I were very curious about the women in black. How was she going to eat with that thing covering her whole face?. . .Or does she even get to eat in public? So as I was pretending to watch the band, I observed her attach a different black thing to her headscarf, kind of making a big tent. She then removed the part that was over her mouth and put her fork under the tent so she could eat. . . All the time making sure that no one could see her face.

In Jordan, it seemed that 90% of the women were covered. In Egypt, I would guesstimate 70%. In Lebanon, it may be about 30-40%, but really it depends on the region. Where I live in Aley, there are very few Muslims who cover.

In my college classes, we read all about the covering topic. How in many places the women chose to do this because they think it is part of serving and obeying God. In some places, it gives them freedom from harassment when they are in public, especially in crowded places like buses.

They say Western women are more "enslaved" by unrealistic body image standards and pressures to make them have to look sexy to gain the favor of men so they can get ahead in the world. . . And they are so right. I'd rather be covered, than have all my skin showing.

So I've never really thought that Muslims were backwards or anything because many of their women cover. Culturally, I do think it's more empowering and respectful of women.

But in Jordan, the whole thing started bothering me. It's really, really, really hot there. And unlike the Gulf or Houston, people are walking around outside. They don't confine themselves to their AC vehicle or AC shopping malls or offices. It was just so hot, and having one's head and neck covered, with a long cloak over pants seemed beyond unbearable to me.

But what really got me was seeing what the men wear. In Jordan it's some of them. But in Saudi and the Gulf, I think it's more common for the men to wear long, white, even transparent dresses. There's no belt. They're totally loose. They're modest in the sense that no skin shows or body outlines, and they are completely cool. It's the perfect thing to wear in hot weather, especially with the checkered cloth they have on their heads (which is not wrapped around their necks and ears). It just conveniently keeps the sun off the top of their head and the back of their neck.

How evil and disgusting is that! I was really, really sickened. The men go around in these cool white dresses with their Adidas soccer shorts underneath (which I could see) and the women have to wear long black cloaks over some pants or jeans outfit or have a scarf completely wrapped around their head, ears, and neck.

The whole double-standard really pissed me off. Not that the Arab world or Muslims are the only people to have double standards. It exists everywhere. But still, I wanted to yack. Culture shock sometimes slaps you in the face. It's hard work trying to understand where people are coming from and the good reasons for why people do what they do. This is just another example.

No comments: