July 30, 2005

Beirut


The Corniche
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.


This is the Corniche. It's lovely. You see why I cried when Hariri died. Some people wanted to remind me how he was corrupt and dirty and a mafioso like all the other dirty politicians. I know, and yet, Beirut is lovely. And it's really a shame that people are scared and aren't coming.

So here's a dumb thing I did:

I was going to the eye doctor yesterday, and I wasn't exactly sure what bus to get on. So I hopped on one and asked the guys if it was going to "Dora." And they were like "No." So I just hopped off--after the bus was already moving!!! And I was wearing a skirt and girly shoes!! But not only is that retarded. There were these guys on the street watching me as I almost died, jumping off the moving bus. And then I was like, "Which is the bus to Dora?" (in Arabic, of course.) And they said I had to take the bus that I just jumped off of. So I felt kind of dumb.

It was Friday after work, and that bus goes through all Christian neighborhoods. I actually felt kind of nervous. All of these bombings have been happening in Christian neighborhoods and on the weekends.

Oh well, that's Lebanon. But it's still lovely. And people should still come. Everybody loves it here.

No comments: