February 8, 2005

Katy establishments


Mo's in Katy
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.


Mo's is a bar in Katy. Notice the pick up trucks and motorcycles out front. It is right next to my gym. The people inside all wear cowboy boots and kicker style pants and shirts. They two step on the dance floor.

Mo is short for Muhammad. I think this is funny. Maybe this is a crazy rumor. Would the kickers go somewhere they knew was owned by an A-rab?

It's kind of like how the Kettle, the open 24 hour truck stop that we used to hang out in high school, became a Taqueria Arandas. This is symbolic of my life.

Growing up in Katy, which was predominantly white, I somehow managed to have a bunch of Asian friends. Denise and Linda-Taiwanese; Christie-Vietnamese; Christina-Chinese, Shilpen and Ilyas-Indian, Shari-Iraqi. Somehow these kids were always my friends. But like the whole Mo's thing, I didn't really realize they weren't white like me.

But then I didn't know what I was until I came back from college and started teaching in the "neighborhood." Not Katy, but Southeast Houston. There all the kids were Latino, mostly Mexican. And I was just a source of confusion. "That Miss is Mexican, too." Because I spoke Spanish (not so great) and my dad is Venezuelan/Colombian.

But it was the first time I started to appreciate Mexican food and places like Taqueria Arandas.

For such a hick place, I can find any body, any food, and any language I want in Houston. Even more than in Boston. You just can't get Tex-Mex there.

Hey, Mo's has a website. Troy sent me the link. It's http://www.mosplacekaty.com/index.html. You can see Mo!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sad is it that
(1) I had no idea that the Kettle changed and
(2) I'm shocked at how classy Mo's looks in that photo?