December 30, 2008

Protesting Israeli attacks in Gaza

Sunday afternoon, I met a friend in front of Rockefeller Center to protest the Israeli massacres in Gaza. After receiving an e-mail that morning, I forwarded it to at least 20 people who live in New York. Only one got back to me. A guy who had lived in Beirut for two years.

Supposedly, there were 3000 people. I couldn't tell. It was all very organized. The police were very present and professional. They closed streets so we could pass through. I didn't get that feeling that at any moment I could get squished by the crowd, like I would feel in protests in Beirut.

There were Hassidic Jews with signs that said "The Jewish People Will Never Recognize the State of Israel." "Israel is Not a Jewish State"

I got passed a sign from a guy who had to leave early that said "No More Dollars for Israeli War Crimes." I liked that message. Some of the better slogans we chanted included: "Shame, Shame, USA. Helping Israel all the way." "No more nickels. No more dimes. No more money for Israeli crimes." "Stop the killing. Stop the crime. Get Israel out of Palestine." "End the Occupation Now." Of course, there was the tried and true: "No justice. No peace." The one in Arabic they said a lot was, "In spirit, In blood, We will sacrifice ourselves for you, O Palestine." The most common chants were: "Free, Free Palestine" and "Free, Free Gaza"

Some of the signs said, "Killing Children is Not Self Defense" "Stop the U.S.-Israeli Attacks on the Gaza" "Stop the Holocaust Against Palestinian People" "Stop US Funding of Israeli Murder Machine" "Might Does Not Make Right" "Stop Zionist Genocide in Gaza"

I wasn't down with all the messages, especially when they started yelling "Intifada" or "Allahu Akbar." I don't think it helps the cause to reinforce stereotypes that Arabs are violent and scary. But of course, what would you do in that situation? There's boiling anger and that nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach--it comes out however the hell it comes out. Why should people think rationally about whether or not they're reinforcing stereotypes? They're angry and sick. I'm angry and sick. If more people were just angry and sick, no one would have to worry about how others portray them.

No comments: