August 8, 2005

New Thoughts on Coverage


Dressed as a Jordanian
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.


When I walked around Amman covered, it was a totally different experience than when I was walking around in my regular clothes. I wasn't even wearing my regular, Lebanese clothes. I was wearing loose pants and a long-sleeved, light cotton blouse. And yet, I did feel so much more free walking around when I had the headscarf and cloak covering me. The men didn't all stop to look. In a way, I felt almost invisible, which was a cool feeling. None of this, "I would like to kiss you" crap being yelled at me.

If I lived in Jordan, I would definately dress like this. Eventhough I think it would be considered weird, since I'm not Muslim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agressive behavior of strangers... hmmm... here in the U.S. guys sometimes yell stuff at me. It's annoying, and I pretend not to hear them. I guess everything is different wherever you go. The idea of covering myself up-- becoming invisible-- gives me mixed emotions. I want to be seen by those who can look at me with caring, benevolent perspective-- not a predatory or controlling one. But I think dressing according to local custom makes sense whenever possible! My opinion: You look great no matter what style you adopt, Jane!

Anonymous said...

jfsdjfjwe