September 17, 2004

Aley


View from my apartment
Originally uploaded by Jane Rubio.

My balcony overlooks Beirut and the Mediterranean. Aley is a mountain town, 16 km outside of Beirut on the Damascas Highway. Most of the people here are Druze. Many of the men wear white fitted hats and black, MC Hammer pants. The more strict women wear white head scarves, long sleeves, and skirts or dresses. But most of the women dress like in Latin America, tight-fitting, midrif-baring tops and super-fashion jeans.

The souk is about a minute walk uphill from my apartment. I can find anything there. Schwarma for L.L.2000, about $1.33, and a million patisseries with all the Arabic sweets--yum.

Last night I went to my first martial arts class. The school is about a two and a half minute walk from my place. It was about 10 guys, ranging in age from 12-35, and one 17-year old girl. She's a brown belt and teaches the little kids. The owner used to live in L.A. He was really cool and welcoming. I liked the workout--it was kickboxing. It's an open style, so they'll be doing karate, tae kwon do, self-defense, etc. He had me demonstrate some Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

I've been to Beirut twice and saw my friend, Dilek. This weekend I'm supposed to go to a wedding! School starts on Monday.

No comments: